Friday, April 8, 2011

Northern California Day 7: Best Day Yet



First, I'll start by saying, I'm not sure what day of the week it is...Friday, I think. I've just checked into my fourth hotel of this trip with one more to go, but fairs don't begin until 1pm tomorrow. I'm looking forward to a relaxing morning.

Today was my favorite day yet. For the lunch break, I drove into San Francisco to meet an old college friend who happens to work in the restaurant biz. We met up at one of his favorite lunch spots called the Naked Lunch. Can I tell you, brie sandwiches with thinly sliced apples and arugula really should be served more often. And, whoever thought to lace coconut milk with lime over the rocks has my highest regards.

We finished up lunch with cake and cappuccino from a nearby cafe. San Francisco is truly magical.

After I said goodbye, I pointed my rental car north towards the Golden Gate Bridge. Though on a time crunch, I was able to park right next to the bridge and walk about a fifth of the way across. What a magnificent piece of architecture surrounded by a dramatic landscape. There really is a lot of beauty down here.

However, my favorite part of the day was the morning session of the fair. We were at CSU East Bay's Hayward campus. Hundred of students in the same situation as my Stitches kids came through. It was my privileged to ask them one simple question, "What do you want to be when you grow up." They responded with some big dreams.

I talked to a girl passionate about imigration and wanting to be a lawyer in order to make a difference for her people. One young gentleman says he's interested in counseling because people say he's good at it. He's a 16-year-old making a difference. Another young woman desires to become an actress but was looking at psychology additionally. There were pediatricians in the crowd, engineers, teachers, social workers, and a lot of teenagers reaching for the stars standing in the face of all of those who say they can't. They can, and they will. Every student I spoke with today had the GPA to back that up.

These students truly inspire awe in me. The room was electric as we spoke, and I could feel God shaping destinies right there in the East Bat gymnasium. People ask where the hope for America is. I say look no farther than the high-schoolers of Hayward, California. The next generation is going to do great things, and I am thankful to play even a tiny part.


No comments: